August 13, 2008

Bible Study: Romans

I thought it would be great to share the Bible studies I am working through here on the blog. Lately I have been reading Romans and have been really gleaning a lot from it. I certainly am not an expert on the Bible, but I attempt to do as I feel God would have me do, which is to read His word and continue to do so, learning more each time I re-read that which I have already read. It is amazing how I can read a verse over and over and still gain new insight each time, through the Holy Spirits guidance.

OK, let's start off with Romans, chapter 1. Today I am reading Romans 1:1-17.

One of first verses that strikes me in the book of Romans is:
(Rom 1:5) through whom we received grace and apostleship, unto obedience of faith among all the nations, for his name's sake;

I love that Paul starts off by telling us who we are in Christ. We have grace... we have apostleship BECAUSE of Christ. Not due to any of our works, but through Christ alone do we have these things. Our faith is part of our obedience to God, to mirror Christ in us. By being faithful to Christ we obey God.

Next Paul speaks of our calling as Christians...
(Rom 1:6) among whom are ye also called to be Jesus Christ's: (Rom 1:7) to all that are in Rome, beloved of God, called to be saints: Grace to you and peace from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ.

We are called to be Christ's, we are called to be saints. What an awesome calling from God, our Father!

In verses 8 - 13 Paul speaks of wishing that he could be with his Roman brethren, and also the fact that as Christians they are comforted by one anothers faith. Just as we today should and can be a comfort to our fellow Christians, if only simply by our shared faith in Christ. Paul also encourages fellow Christians to bear spiritual fruit that it might be evident.

I really love this verse...

(Rom 1:16) For I am not ashamed of the gospel: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek.

How many people today claim to be Christians and are ashamed to proclaim the Gospel as pure truth? Too many I think. It us such a shame because God's Word IS truth, it is THE truth. And it is also power, because without the power of His Word, without reading His Word and hearing His Word, we could be saved. To hear His word is power and to believe (along with confessing and turning away for our sins) brings us salvation.

It is by faith in Him that we live...

(Rom 1:17) For therein is revealed a righteousness of God from faith unto faith: as it is written, But the righteous shall live by faith.

I'll be continuing this study in Romans on my next Bible Study post. Please study along with me and feel free to leave any additional thoughts and insights in the comments section.


No comments: