June 2, 2009

Busy Day In The Kitchen!

This is one of those days that I wish my carera hadn't died on me because I sure would have lots of great photos to share :0)

I woke up super early this morning and decided to surprise my still sleeping girls with a breakfast pizza. What I did was make up some biscuit dough and rolled it out onto a cookie sheet. I then baked it for 5 minutes. I then topped it with scrambled eggs, grated cheese and crumbled turkey bacon. I then baked it for 5 more minutes and it was done. The girls loved this and it was filling enough for leftovers. When I make this again I will add some country gravy as a sort of sauce so it will be more moist. What I am planning to do this weekend is to make the dough and roll it out onto the pan and prepare the gravy on Saturday night, then store those in the fridge. Then I will scramble up the eggs and cook the bacon on Sunday morning for a very quick breakfast before we head off to church. I plan to make two so I can make one of them with tomatoes, bell peppers, onions and spinach on top as well. My husband will love that but the girls would run and hide :0)

I spent all morning in the kitchen getting a lot of good things going for the rest of the week. Eating healthy is so good for us but it also keeps me in the kitchen a lot. It's a good thing I love being in the kitchen. :)

Tonight I am going to roast a chicken so this morning I took a nice roasting chicken, cleaned and rinsed it, sprinkled it inside and out with seasonings and lemon juice then tucked it nicely into a ziploc bag with some extra virgin olive oil to marinade before roasting. We'll have that tonight with mashed potatoes and gravy and green beans. Yum!

I also have 4 loaves of homemade bread rising in the kitchen right now. It's a recipe I found on a package of Red Star yeast called Classic Country bread. My family loves it so I make it often. Here is that recipe.

Classic Country Bread

1 1/2 c. water
2 Tbsp. canola oil
1/3 c. molasses
2 1/4 tsp salt
2/3 c. oatmeal (I used Bob's Red Mill 5 Grain Cereal)
1 1/3 c. whole wheat flour
2 1/2 c. bread flour
2 tsp. quick rise or bread machine yeast

Put all ingredients in bread machine in the order suggested by the manufacturer. Set on "dough" cycle. When dough is ready, split into two equal pieces and form into loaves. Please each loaf into a greased bread pan. Cover with a clean kitchen towel and allow to rise for 45 minutes. Bake in a 350 degree oven for 50 minutes. Remove from pans to wire racks and allow to cool before slicing. Makes 2 loaves.

This morning I also started a batch of homemade buttermilk from a recipe I found while reading through Candy's blog. She actually did a video tutorial on this recipe and several other last week which is what prompted me to give it a try. We love buttermilk for biscuits, pancakes, coffee cake and lots of other good things so this is really going to be good to try.

Tonight I am going to make homemade yogurt. I make this often in my little Salton Yogurt Maker . Candy gave a tutorial on how to make yogurt in the crock pot so I will be using both methods tonight. If the crock pot version works well I will use it regularly because as much as I love my Salton, it doesn't make very much and my family adores yogurt.

Finally I am about to go make up some pie crust for quiche later in the week as well as empanada dough that I will use for both savory and sweet empanada snacks for the freezer.

Praying your day has been a blessed one!

1 comment:

Kathi said...

Your breakfast pizza sounds yummy. What a sweet mamma you are. Kathi