September 24, 2009

Homemade Cough Remedy

The cold season is upon us and three of my lovely little ladies have coughs. We've tried all kinds of cold/cough medicine and I had come to a point where I was running out of things to try and was considering taking them to the doctor. My 7 year old has been coughing for weeks now and instead of getting better she began to get worse again... with no other symptoms. She always tends towards lingering coughs when she has been sick.

I began to search on-line for natural cures for coughs. After a lot of reading I came up with this cough remedy that allowed all of my girls to sleep through the night last night without coughing. It is easy to make and two out of three enjoyed the taste as well :0)

Homemade Cough Remedy

1 cup water
1 inch piece of fresh ginger, peeled and cut into small pieces
juice of one lemon
1/4 cup raw honey (you should be able to find this at a health food store)
3 Tbsp. raw apple cider vinegar (I use BRAGG brand)
1/4 c. white grape juice

Boil water and add ginger pieces. Allow to steep for 5 minutes. Strain through a fine mesh strainer into a glass jar with a tight fitting lid. Add remaining ingredients and shake until well blended. Allow to sit a few minutes until all the bubbles settle. Give 2 Tbsp. as a does as needed for coughing. Store in refrigerator.

3 comments:

Erika W. said...

Michele, do you store this in the fridge then?

I will be writing this one down- it's the cough that gets my kids too- it seems to last for weeks and weeks, we keep an ample supply of Vap-o-rub on hand, but this looks fantastic!

Michele said...

Erika, yes I do keep it in the fridge. I like to give it to them warm if they have a sore throat or an extra bad cough.

Nicole said...

gloups! it must be strong!!
I just have everyone drinking thym and lemon juice... With a sore throat I add a tespoon of cider vinegar!
(I make a big pot of about 1 soup spoon of thym + boiling water)

The difficult thing for me is to get all these ingredients , but I would love to have a try!!