January 28, 2009

Calzones

The next few days are going to be kind of busy. My parents might come visit this weekend plus my husband will be off on Saturday which is very rare. So, today I thought I'd make something for lunch that would last a few days. We had some leftover sauce, cheese and pepperoni from the last time we made pizzas so I thought calzones would be fun to make. We ended up with enough for lunch today plus two more lunches and two focaccia breads. Not bad for one afternoon of work. I think it took two hours total and that was with little ones under foot and coaching homeschool assignments from the kitchen at the same time. I've used this pizza crust recipe for a long time and we love it.

Pizza Crust

1 cup warm water
small squeeze of honey
1 package dry yeast (2 1/4 tsp.)
3 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 1/2 cups flour

Stir hot water, sugar and dry yeast until blended. Add oil, salt and flour. (I use a food processor). Stir until mixture forms a soft ball. Let rest 30 minutes. Roll out or stretch to desired thickness then place on a pizza stone or cookie sheet. Top with your favorite pizza sauce and toppings. Bake 500 degrees for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown.

I usually use my Kitchen Aid and make a quadruple batch of dough. For calzones, I just pinch off baseball ball sized pieces, roll them into circles and add sauce, cheese and pepperoni to the very center. Then just fold over and fold the bottom of the dough half-circle over the top and pinch shut. I cook them at 500 degrees for 7 minutes each on a pizza stone .

For the focaccia I cook the same as a pizza, only just top it with a little extra virgin olive oil, a sprinkle of dried and/or fresh herbs, a little bit of mozzarella cheese and some thinly sliced red onion. Delicious!

Now tomorrow I'm going to work on a couple days worth of dinner and hopefully get the girls hair washed and braided. I cut my own hair and it feels so light now, it's great! It was almost to the middle of my back but now it is shoulder length and feels much more healthy. Split ends are not fun, especially on long curly hair. I will try to get my 6 year old (the budding photographer) to take a picture so I can add it to the blog soon.

Hope you're having a blessed day! I will be starting back up the Romans Bible Study next time, sorry it has taken me so long!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

mmmm...looks great! u should try pizza in sweden, even better than the original italian pizzas!